I love the beach! Every chance I can go I am there. To me it’s like a mini vacation whether I go for just a couple hours or for the entire day. The sound of the waves calms me, and the vast ocean puts things into perspective.
So, here are my tips for a great day at the beach:
- Go to the bathroom before you leave home. What? What did you think I was going to say? I don’t know about you, but I don’t like public bathrooms, and I definitely do not like water park
bathrooms beach bathrooms. I just feel like they are a breeding ground for all kinds of germs. Eeew!
- Pack some great books and magazines. No tablets, no electronics, unless its a kindle. And read them.
- Pack a cooler of great snacks, water, and preferably sugar-free drinks. I don’t believe the heat of a hot summer day and sugar mix real well.
- Research the best and highest SPF sunblock you can afford, and use it. I also use lip balm with sunblock in it. It’s probably not the most glamorous thing, but I use the stuff lifeguards use. Re-apply when you get out of the water. Trust me, your older self will thank you.
- Now this next tip is dependent on individual needs. But if your hair dries out when you go to the beach like mine does, saturate it with leave-in conditioner before you go. When you get home just wash it out when you shower.
- Go to the beach with people who want to go to the beach. There’s nothing worse than going to the beach and an hour or two later your companions are ready to go. Not a good scene if it was supposed to be an all day experience!
- Take note of all warning signs. Those signs were not posted to put a damper on your beach experience. There are dangers wherever you go. The beach is no exception.
- This may go without saying, but check the weather for rain, unless you don’t mind getting rained on at the beach. I mean, it does look cool in the movies!
- Clean up after yourself. I mean seriously? Don’t be a litter bug.
- Enjoy, and repeat as often as you can!